June 30, 2015

Butter Churn Block - Farm Girl Vintage

Don't you just love the names for vintage quilt blocks?
That's part of the appeal of Lori Holt's


Today's block has a charming name...Butter Churn.
The design is so clever, with a pinwheel center.
The one from the book had a pretty green palette,
with a navy pinwheel.

For my block I wanted a broader color palette...
I used primary colors, reminding me of a new box of crayons.
My bundle of Fresh Air prints by American Jane
really inspires me.


I love that center pinwheel, framed in butter yellow.


A funny thing happened when I was laying out the pieces
for assembly, on my design board.
Before I added the HST corner pieces,
I snapped this photo, so I could remember the alternate block
that appears if you were to use
just plain background squares in the corners.

{Note to self: try this someday!}


But for today...the butter churn block was completed.



I must say I was thrilled with the way I executed
this block. I made my HST's a bit larger and trimmed them
to the perfect size.
My flying geese units came out perfectly,
using the method described in the book.


Come back soon...I can't stop making these sweet blocks!
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Love your fabric choices and your alternative block!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really a great block...wonderful fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is so cute! I keep wishing I had joined this quilt along. I'm going to have live vicariously through you, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sew darn perfect and cute! Love your fabrics!!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and will read each and every one, even if I am not able to reply to all of them.